Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Street Fighter : The Legend of Chun Li


Remember that ultra-cheesy live action Street Fighter flick starring Jean Claude Van Damme back in the early 90's? I sure did. Well we have not come very far since then. This "sexified" and "revamped"
version of Street Fighter, starring Kristin Kreuk as my childhood choice (and then only) female fighter. The thunder-thigh kicking, bird spinning CHUN-LI!!! My excitement for this flick, ended after watching the trailer. The only reason I actually sat to watch this excruciatingly boring interpretation was purely out of my geeky love for Street Fighter. However, there was NONE of that "Street Fighter" vibe to be felt in this film. Being female and fashion forward myself, I sat there asking my boyfriend where the heck was Chun Li's iconic costume? Where were the awesome spiky bracelet bands? Where was Chun Li??? Instead of pleasing the fans of the popular fighting game, the writers and director decided to try out a more "modern" and "dark" approach. Due to the success of recent comic book heroes, the trend in Hollywood now seems to turn every "superhero" into a darker, more introspective character. This approach works for the comic book heroes, well most of them anyway, but for a 2D video game? I think not. Believe it or not, the Street Fighter movie of the early 90's was BETTER, then 2009's "Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun Li."

Are we allowed to have fun with movies anymore?

I highly recommend this accurate and FUN interpretation of Street Fighter:

Jackie Chan in City Hunter


image of Kristin Kreuk, www.movieweb.com

No comments:

Post a Comment